Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Second grade homework strikes again

Growing up I hated math.  HATED it.  I clearly remember saying "why do I need to do this stuff, I'm never going to use it again in my whole life".  Well, life proved me wrong as I basically do math for a living.  Algebra and all. 

Math has changed a lot since I was in the second grade.  They have this newfangled NEW math now.  The schools really should have night school for us parents who use "olden days" math.  Case in point:

Tommy brings home this math homework before Thanksgiving.  It was called "Ballpark Estimations".  First of all, why do we need this?  If they want a ballpark estimation for 59 + 63 why don't they just add the two together and have the correct answer instead of a close enough answer?  Anyway, I read the instructions on the back of the worksheet and we went to work on it.

Yesterday the homework came home.  They were ALL wrong.  All of them.  I consider myself a fairly intelligent person so I was slightly offended that none of them were right.  And here is the kicker...I'm not sure WHY they were wrong!!!!

I'm volunteering in Tommy's class on Friday and asked his teacher if I could stay after and have her show me what the !@#$%^&*!!! I did wrong.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment