I have never ever loved the concept of eating a slice of cake that someone has blown their spittle and germs all over whilst blowing out the candles. It's really a nasty thought. Nearly as bad as taking communion during flu season, I would imagine.
So Tommy's birthday was last weekend. We had a cake, he blew out the candle:
Everyone ate cake, some people had two pieces (ahem, that would be me), everyone went home. Tommy, who has been complaining of a stomach ache for weeks, had even more cake, and them promptly puked his guts out Saturday night.
Monday comes, he comes home with a stomach ache, but goes to school Tuesday because it's his ACTUAL birthday and he had taken treats for his class. We went to dinner, he came home, and puked his guts out for the rest of the night. I was up all night with this kid. At one point he missed his happy meal Halloween puke bucket and got the floor. PSA: Nature's Miracle works on kid messes too!
I later find out that Dylan, a friend from the party, had the pukes and missed school early in the week. Another friend, Wyatt, said it felt like a grown up punched him in the stomach.
If this isn't a case to end candle blowing and wish making on birthdays, I don't know what is.